Monday, June 20, 2011

Why and What


I feel like a good place to begin this blog is by answering the two questions I get asked most frequently when I tell people that I'm going to Kathmandu; “Why Nepal?” and “What will you be doing over there for six months?”.

The inspiration for this journey actually began in 2007, when I had the opportunity to spend my summer abroad. I had looked at many different programs, mostly around Tibet as I had just finished reading a book about the Dalai Lama, until I came across Passage Program. Their Tibetan Cultural Immersion Program was actually cheaper than a lot of the shorter programs I had seen, and six weeks seemed like a good length of time. Four of those weeks were spent living in Kathmandu with a Tibetan family.

All of the students in the program
And two were spent in Tibet visiting monasteries.
Hayley and I in front of the Potala Palace!
I expected to go and become energized about Tibet, but I found myself being more drawn to Nepal. The people, the culture, the food; I fell head over heels in love with the country. I resolved to one day return to Nepal, although at the time I was unsure of what pretext I could use.
                 
I found my excuse during my senior year of high school when I read John Wood's book Leaving Microsoft to Change the World. After trekking in Nepal and promising some school children that he would come back with books, his efforts quickly spiraled into him founding Room to Read. Room to Read is an amazing NGO that builds schools and provides books for libraries in developing countries. His passion and commitment resonated with me deeply, and I knew that this is what I wanted to dedicate my life to. I hope to someday work for a development organization that operates in Nepal, preferably one relating to microcredit or education. Granted I’m still not sure exactly what I want to do for this development organization. I should probably figure that out soon.
                 
My original plan of spending an entire year abroad was shortened due to various restraints, but I settled on participating in both a summer and semester program. My first program is with Passage Program, who now goes by the name Passage International. The amazing staff is what brought me back to Passage, along with their price. Anyone looking to spend time in Nepal or India, I assure you Passage gives the most bang for your buck.
                
 For my first ten weeks I’ll spend Monday through Friday in a 90 minute Nepali language class, before spending the rest of the day interning with RHEST. RHEST(Rural Health Education Services Trust) is an NGO that provides scholarships to girls living in rural Nepal. Not only are girls less likely to receive an education than boys, but in rural areas they are also at risk for human trafficking. The hope is that by paying for educational expenses their parents will be less likely to sell them, and they’ll be able to get higher paying jobs. I’m not exactly sure what I’ll be doing for RHEST, but I’m really excited to learn more about their organization and hope to get a chance to do field work for them. On weekends Passage has set up for me to take heritage walks throughout Kathmandu, which should also be really interesting.
A temple in Bhaktapur I saw on a heritage walk on my last visit
After my Passage Program ends I’ll begin a fifteen week Development and Social Change Program with the School for International Training(SIT). SIT is an awesome organization, and besides taking a development seminar I’ll have the opportunity to hear guest lecturers from people who work for the World Bank, USAID, and a variety of NGOs. I’ll continue taking Nepali language classes; these will be two and a half hours long with former Peace Corps language instructors. Besides taking classes I will be going on a number of excursions which include; a homestay in a rural Nepalese village, visiting Darjeeling in India, a safari in the Chitwan National Park, and trekking in the Himalayas. No big deal.
                Only three days and 20 hours of flying stand between me and my adventure. I’m ridiculously excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment