Friday, July 8, 2011

BBQ's and Superstore's

The highlight of Wednesday was definitely the BBQ I went to at Oz’s house in the evening. RHEST was sort of a bust because the computers weren't working so I couldn’t do the work I needed to. The language classes aren’t getting harder per se, just more frustrating. All of the verbs end in u, which for some reason really confuses me. Honestly I’ve gotten better at conjugating than recognizing the verbs. But I’m sure if I keep working it’ll come to me.

I watched television at the house until Hayley called me, and then took a cab to Oz, her boyfriends, house. The night before when they had invited me to the BBQ I had pictured a traditional American one, with a grill and excessive amounts of meat. This was more of a low key affair, with the meat being mostly chicken and fish and cooked in a large toaster oven.

Oz is an awesome cook, the chicken was amazing. He put some Thai sauce on them which made them absolutely divine. The fish was also really good, rainbow trout with a little bit of lemon. I feel that when it comes to fish it’s better to be simple.

Thursday was another pretty standard day, with the language class again being frustrating but good. I just sometimes feel like I’m not getting anywhere, even though I know a lot more now. But oh well, I’ll just have to keep working. My stomach was unhappy all day, which was really lame, but I had been waiting to get sick. It’s just a fact of life here since the bacteria in the water is so different.

At RHEST I accidently stayed longer because I was looking at the computer clock, which said 3, instead of my watch, which said 4. I had been surprised at how little time had passed, but just figured I was bored or something. It was only later that I saw it said AM instead of PM, which is what tipped me off.


After work I walked to one of the big new supermarkets in Kathmandu. It was HUGE. They had five floors and included a floor just for shoes. I needed some shampoo, conditioner, soap, makeup remover and laundry detergent, which I picked up for 970 rupees. At first I was outraged by how expensive it was, and then I realized I could never have gotten that much stuff in the US for only 15 bucks. 
Mr. Momo I think
Sooo much ramen!

On the way home I stopped by a tailor and (sort of impulsively) bought fabric to make another kurta. It was on sale, and really beautiful, but I now need to go to Tamil to exchange my Thai money for rupees and take some money out of the atm.


I spent the night at home chilling with Kishan, which was actually really nice. I’ve been so busy lately it was really nice to just relax and veg out. Tomorrow is Friday, so I’ll almost definitely be out and about, and Saturday I’m going to Last Resort with Hayley and the gang. Super pumped!

No comments:

Post a Comment